Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Modern Dance

Title: Modern Dance
Date: December 1st, 2010
Category: Outside of Class
dancersalary.com
            Since the annual Dance Competition was coming up, I had been practicing with my partner Sol. Our concept of the dance we were to perform is to create a combination mixing both ballets inspired from modern dance and hip hop. To get my inspiration, I searched on YouTube for videos of modern dance. Upon watching the videos, I began to think of what the term modern dance really meant. The term “modern” meant that it was new and fitting with the world today. However, when I see most of the dances in our society, I usually see varied forms of hip-hop rather than modern dance. How is this type of dance, then modern in the sense that it corresponds to our lifestyle in our society? It could be that the term “modern” signified that this type of dancing was created during our era, near the 21st century. If this was the case, then how do we know whether this type of dance evolved during our era? Could it be that people from the previous eras had danced this form of dance, but had never shown it? Who decides what is modern and what is considered “old” or “vintage”? Who has this authority? Do all people agree with this authority figure or are we forced into doing so? Would it make a difference if we knew who decided what was modern? Would the dance then be called “modern dance”?

No comments:

Post a Comment