Thursday, October 6, 2011

Title: Rorschach Test
Date: 6 October 2011
Class: Theory of Knowledge
Category: In Class
http://www.crosswordfiend.com/
            Psychologists usually utilize the Rorschach test to diagnose someone with a psychotic illness. This test is created by putting paint on the fold on a piece of paper. These images are already created and thus, the psychologists show these images to the patients and ask him/her what the result of the fold, produces. However, how reliable is the information suggested by the results of this test? [Knowledge Issue] Psychologists usually associate this test with the patient’s sexual desires. They claim that the images contain sexual references and if the person is able to indicate this, they contain a psychotic illness pertaining to their id (their pleasure zone).
            The problem with this test is that it is subjective. As everyone has different perspectives, it’s difficult to diagnose someone based on the “normal” responses. However, who decides what is considered to be “normal”? How many people must have this response for it to be considered as being normal? Is this test then discouraging different perspectives if people are being labeled as being mentally sick if they do not state the normal responses? [Knowledge Issues] Another problem is that the psychologists wait until the person makes sexual connections to the image. Having tried this test, I felt that this is not an effective method as I was inclined to think of different ways in which the image was able to be interpreted while taking the test. If I was with a psychologist while taking this test, I may have been diagnosed with something because of one answer, rather than the overall variety of answers I gave. Another way to look at this problem is that these people have reason to diagnose me with an illness. Am I then, simply being in denial of the illness that I possess? Does it even matter if I know or not? [Wonderings/Different perspective] I feel that the label that the mental sickness gives, causes the patient to be mistreated and discriminated in that he/she could be scrutinized in terms of their actions, even if his/her actions would have been considered to be normal before this diagnosis. Is it then ethical for the psychologists to diagnose these people based on unreliable methods such as the Rorschach test if it means these people may be treated and looked upon in a different manner? [Connection to ethics as an area of knowledge/Wondering]

No comments:

Post a Comment